Monday, December 20, 2010

The parable of the three bags of gold...

Once upon a time, in a hacienda-sized farm, a rich man gave three bags of gold each to his three sons.


"Alright, my sons," the rich man said, "you can now use these bags of gold to buy whatever you want. But always use the gold wisely." "We will, father." his sons replied.

A week later, the eldest son came back and told his father that he bought a piece of land for his (eldest son) family, and saved a quarter of the gold. "That is good, my son," his father replied with a smile.

Another week after that, the middle son came back and told his father that he sacrificed a goat for him and his (middle son) family, and saved only half of the gold. "That is good, my son," his father replied with a grin.

And another week after, the youngest son came and told his father that he gave the gold to a poor man, but did not saved for himself, not even a piece. "I'm very proud of you, my son," his father replied with a hug. "We're all proud of you," said his brothers. "But why didn't save some gold for yourself?"  the eldest son asked. "Why would I need a bag of gold, when I can take care of my father. He is the only treasure I have, and no bag of gold can ever replace him." the youngest son replied. Their father shed a tear upon what the youngest son had said.

And they lived happily ever after.


       “And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve (any) but Him, and goodness to your parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so much as) “Ugh” nor chide them, and speak to them a generous word. And make yourself submissively gentle to them with compassion, and say: O my Lord! Have compassion on them, as they brought me up (when I was) little.” Al-Isra:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment